Tico Mae Surf Camps is a team of very experienced surf instructors. We truly enjoy sharing our love for the ocean, helping beginner surfers to start and intermediate surfers to improve their skills.
WHERE & HOW?
We are located 0.6 miles southeast of downtown Samara Beach. This is the best surf spot for beginners with suitable waves and sandy bottoms. This ensures your first lesson at the surf camp will be safe, productive and FUN!
If you are a more experienced surfer and ready for bigger waves, we will suggest the best surf spots all over Costa Rica as you continue your travels.
ABOUT COSTA RICA
Costa Rica attracts many tourists from all over the world. It is a country in Central America bordered by Nicaragua to the north, Panama in the southeast, the Pacific ocean to the west, the Caribbean Sea to the east, and Ecuador to the south of Cocos Island. It has a population of around 4.9 million people, and you will fall in love with almost every native Costa Rican you meet!
Costa Rica also has very progressive environmental policies and is the only country to meet all five UNDP criteria established to measure environmental sustainability.
The people of Costa Rica are very friendly and kind. As soon as you arrive you will feel the welcoming of the PURA VIDA!
ABOUT SAMARA BEACH
Samara Beach is located in the Nicoya peninsula western shore. It is known as one of the most prettiest and safest beaches in all of Costa Rica. Playa Samara radiates wonderful white sand in contrast to the aquamarine water. Additionally, tropical plant life and living coral encompass Samara 3-mile (5 km) coastline. The beach is a favorite among locals, foreigners, and wealthier Ticos – forming a quintessential beach community.
And big plus – Samara beach is the most safe beach to learn how to surf!
WHAT TO DO IN SAMARA BACH?
There are literally dozens of amazing activities to do in and around Playa Samara.
There is something for everyone – whether you simply want to relax on the beach or be adventurous by going surfing, horseback riding, dolphin/whale watching, or zip lining through the rain forest. Also, there are restaurants right on the beach where you will enjoy beautiful sunset!
If there is a particular activity you are interested in, let us know! We can find and provide information on any activity in Samara.
ABOUT THE SURF LESSONS
- Every surf lesson includes a THEORY session right before you go to in the ocean.
- Practice in the water for 2 hours (1 hour lesson). We will discuss your progress and learning oppotunities based on photos and videos taken during the surf lesson. Then, we provide corrections based on your skills and weather conditions.
SURF EDUCATIONAL LEVELS
LEVEL 1 (BEGINNER)
- Introduction to safety
- Surf equipment
- Body positioning
- Pop-up techniques
- Paddling techniques
- Balance on the board
- Proper stance ( lower center of gravity)
- White water riding
- Catching green waves (not white water)
- Choosing waves
- Board control
- Advanced techniques for paddling
- Board control (acceleration, stalling, etc.)
- Frontside and backside turns
- Determination of the lineup
- Using rip currents
- Surfing etiquette
- Wave forming
- Perfect wave timing
- Carve on the right or left shoulder of the wave
- Mastering the take-off
- Using surf forecast and tide chart
- Correct positioning in the lineup
- Using smaller board
- Surfing bigger waves
* In our surf lessons, we will provide you the surfboard and rash guard for the entire duration of the surf camp as well!